Wednesday, January 7, 2009

they did it!

OH YEAH baby the Sabres actually won a game that I went to! Huzzah! (I think I figured it out- the secret weapon is my nephew Christopher. See, I've been to 5 games this year, but the only 2 they've won are when he's with me. Hmm....)

It was a fun one. We were a bit late.. got in as the anthems were happening so we did not see the first goal but we heard it. The second one was a thing of beauty with Royzie taking the puck and sending the perfect pass to a streaking Staffy.. man that was a smart play. And then Roy's goal was nasty but great and Van iced it with a very patient, deliberate empty netter. WOOHOO!

The 2nd period was a little scary though, I gotta say. Spacho was killin me there with his (lack of) defence.. and when he Sekera got BURNED on the Spezza breakaway I was afraid all the Sabres were toast but they collected themselves admirably and managed the win.

A few things:
-How about that Matt Ellis guy? Pretty sick, eh?
-I really like Butler. He's pretty solid, especially for a rookie!
-Vanek looked like he had feet of cement, especially in the 2nd period. I dont know what was up with him but he did not want to move for half the game. It was pretty annoying to watch. He picked it up a bit late in the game but yeesh.. that was ugly.
-Miller was good when he needed to be but I really could (and I think he would agree) have done without that first Sens goal. That was brutal. I'm less inclined to be hard on him for the breakaway but he maybe coulda had it too. He did own in the 3rd so he's alright.
-Poor Petey! That was some jacked up madness with Ruutu. I mean seriously- it was obvious to everyone in the arena that he was bit but the ref (who was RIGHT there) said/did NOTHING?! And then Peters gets the unsportsmanlike? SAY WHAT?! Yeah. I am interested to see what happens on a league standpoint from that one. Man oh man.
-Goose was awesome tonight, as usual.
-I'm so happy to have Rivet back. He was being nasty there.. taking on everyone on the ice during the one shift.. that was great! He wanted to get his hands dirty but no one would dance. His toughness carries over to all the guys and it's something that we so desperately need. I love it!
-I love Derek Roy. (duh) Seriously though, he had a great game tonight. A goal, 2 assists.. he was in the play, didn't take any dumb penalties, played smart hockey. His faceoffs could maybe use a little work (seriously like.. take some classes my man!) but otherwise I was very happy with his game. And I'm not just saying that cuz I like him.
-I wasn't feelin Kotalik. It seemed like every time a Sabre made a boneheaded play it was him. I don't know what it is about him.. but he is bugging me lately. Yuck.

okay I really need some sleep but before I go, here are some pics from the Winter Classic II game and some from tonight-
Check it out!

and if you're on facebook, feel free to add me as a friend. :) Peace!

No comments: