Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thanks Bucky!

Great article about Derek Roy in TBN.

Yeah, what he said. ;) Derek Roy has been quietly going out and getting the job done this year. He started off very slowly but has been consistently producing over the last 25 or so games- and he's really been on fire since the New Year. I like this Derek and I hope he continues. One telling stat is his goals-assists ratio. Like a good centerman, he has more helpers that goals. (16G, 24A)

He is turning into the leader (at least on the ice, even if he doesn't have a letter) that the Sabres knew he could be.. and he showed flashes of in the past. This is the guy who led his OHL team to the Memorial Cup. This is the guy who can lead the Sabres into the post-season again. And as Bucky points, out, he's great "bang for the buck". The Sabres are known for bargain players and I guess our little Royzie is no exception. It's just to see what we knew he could be finally starting to show.

Keep it up, Derek. We like what we see. The rest of them will follow you- and you have a great group around you. Become those plucky guys who gutted out games back in the first 2 seasons after the lockout. Forget Captain America and the little French-Canadian that could. This is now- the boys need to BE in the now and play like they mean it and for Heaven's Sake- SCORE SOME GOALS! (see previous post) If they do it.. they will make the playoffs. Right now they are (precariously, but it's there) clinging to a spot and as everyone knows, it's not which seed you are in the playoffs, but the fact that you are IN that matters. Anything can happen once the second season starts.

But that is still a few months away. The boys need to play each game with desperation (and we are finally seeing signs of that, if you discount Saturday's game in Detroit) and like it's game 7 of the finals, score some goals and let Miller worry about the net behind them.

Okay I dunno if that ramble made any sense at all but there it is. I feel like I haven't seen the Sabres in ages. (I was AT the game a week ago yesterday and one a week before that) I haven't watched them on tv since.. last year? LOL it really was though, the last game I saw on tv was the game in Washington- what was that, Dec. 26? Yeah I miss the boys. I am excited about today's game. I like the Blackhawks to a point- they are pretty plucky themselves ( i think "plucky" is the word of the day), they have lots of young talent and they have turned the team around from the brink of non-existence into a real contender. As a fan of hockey (not just the Sabres), I can appreciate that. However, I really want the Sabres to win tonight because it will be good for them. And I don't like Brian Campbell. I don't particularly have anything against him (except for all those times he got burned on D because he was too busy spin-o-rama-ing or pretending to be a forward) but I'm glad he is not in Buffalo anymore because I think he's pretty overrated and we didn't have to pay too much money for him. Thank goodness.

Now I'm out.

LET's GO BUFFALO!

No comments: