Saturday, May 24, 2008

Can Stanley come out to play?

Ahh it's that time! It FINALLY feels like Spring in Buffalo and it is also (at long last) time for the FINALS! :) And even though it's not our beloved Sabres, the Red Wings are playing for Lord Stanley, and I have been a Red Wings fan since I've been a hockey fan. (14 years now) so I think it's okay for me to get excited about the idea of them winning! They are not my #1 team- truth be told, they never were #1- that honor belonged to whichever team Pavel Bure was playing for because he's my main man- but they have always been my 'other' team. We have endured some really lame times along the way, the Wings and I, with some poor showings and early round exits, and of course the loss to the Devils in 95 (which started a slow burning passion for Marty Brodeur that took some years to flower itself..) and then we got to feel the GLORY of Winning- in 1997, ending the drought of the half-century, and see Stevie Y lift the Grail over his head. Ahh that was magic. Then I was IN Detroit a couple of weeks later, to see the banners everywhere, and the statues wearing Red Wings jerseys, it was SO COOL!

Then we got to do it again in 1998. And 2002.

But now it's 2008 and there are a whole new corps of Wings who haven't tasted Stanley's champagne yet. It's their turn. And I'm cheering for them!

I actually don't really have anything against Pittsburgh. I prefer the Wings but if the Pens win, I won't be too upset. At least it's not the Rangers or the Flyers, thank heavens.

Looking at it from a talent/stats point of view, I think the Wings have the better deal. If I was a Pens fan, I'd be worried about Fleury's ability to stand up to the Wings offence. He has been VERY good thus far, but the Penguins have not been tested by a true offensive juggernaut. It will be interesting. I also think Detroit has better defence. They are going to have their hands full with Sid, Geno and Hossa for sure, but I think that they are up to the task. And Osgood knows what it takes and he is ready. :)

This should be an exciting series. I'm looking forward to it. But I think Wings in 6. 7 would be even cooler.

GAME ON!

No comments: