Thursday, September 18, 2008

GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT?!?!

THE SABRES ARE BACK!

I saw them with my own eyes today!!! I took the nephews skating at the pepsi center this morning. (they do a preschool skate in the mornings and we hadn't been for a while so it seemed like a good idea. Ulterior motives? Me? Ha!) Seriously though, what better way to seem less puckbunnyesque when approaching a Pominville or Roy than with a coupla kids who love the Sabres? (one of whom still thinks every hockey player is DerekRoy LOL)

But anyway we arrived about 9:30 and go to get our skates on and there is this dude in the lobby area who looks dead on like Jason Pominville. But I was like.. nyah there's no way. This guy was kinda small and he was just chatting it up with this official looking guy so I figured he was one of those dudes who just come of the open hockey sessions, right? So we sit down not too far from this guy and go on about putting our skates on. But I can hear him and he *sounds* like Pommers! He looks and sounds like the guy, he must be him, right? Plus he was wearing this really cool and expensive looking watch but he was just dressed in jeans, a tshirt and sneakers but it was all *nice* and yeah.

Finally he leaves and I was like.. yo I think that was Pommers. Woooooo. :) (I bet he was being interviewed about his NEW CONTRACT!!!!!!!He's locked in. WOOOOOO!)

So we skate for a bit. (the 2 yr old didnt like it much but the 4 yr old was into it) then we have to take a potty break. Little kids, I tell ya. So notice that there are some "hockey guys" on another rink which is not unusual because they often have drop in hockey time while we're there. We wander over and Lo! It's Jason Pominville, Paul Gaustad, Jochen Hecht, Ryan Miller and another goalie (probably Lalime but I dunno for sure) and a coupla coaches. Neither was Lindy or Jeep but I dont know all the other coaches. They were doing various things but that was kinda neat. and it was like WHEEEEEE Sabres!

Then we skated a little more and had to get going to meet my sis and the other kids for lunch. But first we had to check the other rink.. and there were the rest of the fellas and the rookies too I think. We wandered in and stood by the glass behind the goal for a few minutes. I saw Royzie!!! YAY! He looked all happy and refreshed and just whee! I can tell for sure that Paille, Mair, Vanek, Afinogenov, Kotalik, Spacek, Numminen, Roy, and Lydman were there because I saw them all up close and personal. There were lots of guys there though, probably the whole team and the prospects. It was so cool. I wanted to stay and watch more but we had to leave. Maybe I'll go back sometime in the next week or so and watch some more.

I actually really enjoy hockey practices, I used to watch the Bombers all the time when I was in Dayton. It's just fun to see the different things they choose to work on and (at least when things are going well for the team) how the boys act like a bunch of kids out there, especially towards the end when they are playing games and goofing off. I love hockey and can't really get enough of the sport in general. One of these days I'm going to play. I just need to live closer to where such things happen and I don't so that isn't in the cards right now. One thing at a time.

Non-Sabre related but did I tell y'all that I'm in a play? I have wandered on tangents at times about how much I love/miss theatre and it's super true but the drought is over! Some folks randomly started up a community theatre in my dinky town and WE are doing "A Christmas Story" (yep, like the Ralphie, Red Ryder BB gun "you'll shoot your eye out" Christmas Story) I'm Miss Shields, the teacher. I'm rather excited about the whole thing and can't wait till we really get going. We had our first meeting last night and my first rehearsal isn't until the first week of October but it's going to be a blast, I'm sure of it. :)

And don't worry, I'll bug all of you fine folks who read my blog about when the show actually is (December 12, December 12) in case anybody wants to come see it! ;)

So that's all for now. Welcome back Sabres! :):):)

3 comments:

Slyborg said...

Uh, did you happen to give Paul that sexy picture of me? No? Damnit! I should have when I was in Portland.

Anne said...

That's awesome. I hate my school schedule, it keeps me out off all fun morning skates :(

Are you going to Puck Drop??

S.A.M. said...

No, I'm not going to Puck Drop because I scheduled a hot dog sale for tomorrow- it's a fundraiser for my church youth group. and it was MY idea so I can't just ditch. In my defence I scheduled it like 3 days before the Sabres announced Puck Drop. Argh. But that's why I had to get my fix yesterday.