Tuesday, February 24, 2009

well that was... interesting

So I was unable to scrap up a friend for tonights game- everybody had to work or was otherwise engaged.. grr. So I ended up selling my (frickin 100 level) ticket to a scalper for $10. Pathetic, I know but at least I got *something* for it, and I would have had a hard time selling a lone ticket to anyone myself.

I was expecting the seat to go empty, but a couple of dudes showed up right before gametime and one of them was the buyer of my ticket. They were fun to chat with so that was good. A little young for me or I mighta gotten some phone numbers or something.. LOL

Happy Mardi Gras! I wore my Mardi Gras beads to the game. One strand is.. 12 years old I think and actually came from Louisiana. The other ones are a few from the Dyngus Day parade in Buffalo last year and some randoms from the Shrimp and Petroleum Festival which is also in Louisiana. (they throw beads for everything, not just Mardi Gras LOL) but none of them were "earned" in the New Orleans way, thankyouverymuch. LOL My grandma used to send 'em to us every year when we were kids.. so Mardi Gras beads have always been a part of my life.

End random tangent. On to the game.

The Good-
*The Sabres started of being very physical, lots of hitting and scrappiness which was very good to see.
*They totally outshot Anaheim through the first half of the game (and overall, but the Duckies did catch up a bit later.) The shooting in general was good, there have been too many games this year when they refuse to shoot. You can't call lack of effort for the fact that they didn't score more- they were trying. Jiggly was just pretty on tonight.
*Goose. He was all over the place tonight.
*The line of Roy/Pominville/Kaleta. I liked that one.. they have potential to be a great energy line if Pommers can ever find his lost game and it spreads the sparks around, with Goose and Mair offering up some toughness/sparkiness on other lines
*The guys sitting next to me were cool. There was also an EXTREMELY hot dude a few rows up. yes, I notice these things LOL
*Carolina and Florida lost tonight too, so we didn't lose any ground. We also don't suffer in the standings from letting Anaheim have 2 pts

The Bad-
*The defence was pretty terrible tonight. Hello- don't leave Teemu effin Selanne alone in the slot!
*They tried to get a bit cute with the passing and it came to bite them on more than one occasion.
*The Boys looked tired tonight, especially Rivet. Maybe he has the flu. Our seats are 9 row up, next to the bench so I can see the players' faces when they are coming back from a shift and the boys all looked a bit worn down. Maybe it's just that time of year but they have to get it together
*I didn't win the 50/50 raffle. First time I ever played at a Sabres game.. the pots are HUGE! (HUGE, BUFFALO, HUUUUUUUUUGAAH)
*The people booing late in the 3rd. It wasn't THAT bad of a game!
*The people who left early. The Sabres scored with a minute left. NEVER leave a game early!

The Random:
*A dude a couple of rows up could have been Kotalik's twin bro
*The guy in front of me had teeth like Pat Kaleta. Don't ask, just accept
*A penalty for "shooting the stick"? I've been watching hockey for 14 years.. and seen hockey games at many different levels. Never heard of that penalty. From Sabres Edge:17:34 left: Sabres go on the PP as Corey Perry goes for shooting the stick. Yes, shooting the stick. Giguere had lost his and Perry shot it back to him from the faceoff circle. Seemed like an alert play. Didn't know that was against the rules. New one on me.
*The announcement of Michael (don't remember his last name)- PLease report to the security desk...your wife is in labor. We were cracking up at that one. The game was still pretty good at that point.

I think that's about it. Tomorrow I'll have an all-new Hockey Separated at Birth for you.. stay tuned!

P.S. I HATE THE STUPID DUCKS. (Except Bret Hedican. I don't hate him, I just really wish he didn't play for them because they are icky.)

No comments: