Sunday, February 22, 2009

Miller et al

Okay.. I was at the game last night so I guess it's time to weigh in on that punk Gomez.

It looked pretty intentional to me. If not an "I'm deliberatly trying to take you out" then at least he didn't try to avoid contact.

But I think the Sabres did the right thing. I am of a mind that Gomez would NOT have dropped the gloves like a man.. he would have skated off, leaving his challenger to face at least a 2 minute and possibly worse penalty. This would have been very negative for the Sabres who were already shorthanded when Miller went down and things could have gotten out of hand very easily. Also, it should be examined what in a game, which became closer than we would have liked on that first shot after the injury- who do you want to lose for 5 (or more) minutes of a 3rd period in a game that is very important in the standings? Peters is not dressed. Would you want Goose in the box? Mair? Rivet? I wouldn't. I think all of those guys needed to be on the ice and taking shifts in the last 15 mins of the period and losing one of them for starting a fight could have cost the Sabres the game.

As far as Hamilton's comment about "beating the hell out of" Gomez at the end of the game.. that's all fine and good, but who wants to get suspended?

I am really happy that they used their heads instead of fists and hurt the Rangers in the standings. Discipline will win you games.

I also think there should have at least been a penalty on the play but the refs were not with it last night. It happens.

Everyone was complaining about how the Sabres weren't physical enough in general last night but I saw plenty of hitting out there. There was one late in the 3rd with Gaustad and I think it was Orr- right behind the net- and not only the glass, but literally the boards themselves seemed to lift off the floor. It was huge. I also saw a lot of open ice hitting, and bodies flying all over the place. That seemed pretty physical with me. There were some little scrums behind the play as well.

All in all, aside from Miller's injury, it was a great game. A few other comments on the game last night:
-Derek Roy looked completely LOST during warmups. He was skating aimlessly, looking around like he had never seen a hockey arena before and just seemed.. off. I noticed this and was afraid he was going to have a terrible game. Guess I was wrong. Whatever planet he was on seemed to have rejuvenated him because he had a great showing last night. Whatever zen you were doing last night, Derek, just keep it up baby. ;)
-I don't know if you could hear this on the broadcast or if Harry and RJ mentioned it, but right before Sekera's goal, the entire arena yelled "SHOOT!"- since he had the puck for 34948654 years on the play before that, dipsy-doodled all over creation with it, then lost it. I just found it amusing that he actually scored on that shot. A few folks tried it later, but to no avail. GUess it was a one-time deal.

-They announced another "sell out" but let me tell you there were a TON of empty seats last night. Weird.

-I wasn't totally sold on the new opening video from watching it on the Sabres website. It looks pretty decent in person though. I still liked the "City of Blinding Lights" opener better or the one they used last year. Still, I was happier with it than I thought I'd be.

And I think that's it from me.

No comments: