Monday, February 9, 2009

I guess I should review

Ottawa is a really cool city. So I don't know if I mentioned it on here or not but the man reason for going was to participate in a triathlon. It was skating (8k), skiing (5k) and running (5k). You can do individual or relay teams and we (my sis Renee', her friend Brenda, and I) did a relay. I was the skater. Damn but 5 miles (8k) is a long way to skate outside on bumpy canal ice. But I made it and wasn't the last skater! (I was like 3rd to last but who cares.. it wasn't like I really trained for it.) And now I have participated in a triathlon. WOOHOO! :)

This was my 2nd trip to Canada's Capital. I went in 2007 with 'Nee and we skated the whole canal (7.8k) AND back. But it took a very long time and I was miserable by the end of it.

So.. the race was Sat morning. After the race was over we (and my sis Brett, who joined us for the weekend but not the race) went for lunch and chilled out (actually it was more like warming up, it was COLD out on Sat) for a while.. then it was off to dinner and THE GAME!

I really have to say that Scotiabank place is a killer arena.

Not as cool as our panoramic Sabres after practice hotness or the sweet winter classic mural, and full of icky Sens, but still a neat entranceway.

Plus they had these guys:


They were really gracious about taking a pic with me even though I was reppin for the enemy. LOL




There is a LOT of hockey history in Ottawa. Too bad all those Stanley Cup banners are OLD!

They also had super cool graphics and video being projected ONTO the ice pre-game. It was sweet.


I quite liked their into video and player videos, that was good. The place was loud (though not quite full) it holds 20k and there were over 18k in the "Sens Army" and a handful of Sabres fans too. We were passsing the "let's go Buffalo" back and forth a bit in the first, then the guys down by the ice dropped it. Wimps. There were some kids behind us cheering for Buffalo and they were awesome about yelling with me. Heh heh heh The promotions were fun and entertaining as well. The presentation was great all around.



Right after the opening faceoff. We had a great view of everything.

On to the game.. well we all know what happened to Vanek. (3-4 weeks? YEEK!) It was worrisome when he fled and did not return. That's when I said to my sis.. he is most likely broken cuz if he just needed stitches he would be back by now. And of course no commentators to help us out with word from the dressing room so we didn't know what was up, only that it was BAD. The boys definitely lost some life after that..

the 2nd period might as well have been non-existent. Miller played his butt off though to keep us in it. 18 shots? HOLY SMOKES....I was not surprised to see them score there. The first Ottawa goal was nasty and Butler lost his man in front. He's a rookie, it happens, we'll let it go.. but he needs to learn from it! (and I think he will) Frankly, the boys just looked tired. Totally understandable really, considering how many games they have played in the last week and traveling and whatnot.

The 3rd period was great. They finally got something flowing...Mair sneaks one in.. then it's Pommer to Roy to Staffy and suddenly it's 2-2. (Aside to Timmy Connolly- please carry on, my boy. I may not be your best supporter but you have been impressive of late and I. LIKE. IT.) There were several times on Saturday that I just screamed "I LOVE YOU RYAN MILLER" at the top of my lungs after some of those saves. Yeesh.

The 3rd period and OT were ridiculously intense, some really great hockey. It may not have been technically sound but damn was it exciting. The whole place was on edge and it was a fun game to be at. Of course I wish the boys coulda won in the shootout but really if we're going to give away a point or 2, at least it's to Ottawa who can't do a whole lot of damage (right now at least) instead of one of those teams who are nipping at our heels.

And then there was the shootout. Renee' had never been to a game that went to a shootout. I have been to a few, mostly in the minor leagues (including an epic 15 round battle in Dayton once) and while the hockey purists don't like them, there is no denying that they are rather exciting. I already made my plea to Lindy in the last post not to put Derek Roy in during the sudden death portion of a shootout in Ottawa.. LOL even though he scored to win a shootout against them last year. Miller was a bit shaky in the SO, but he had to be worn out after that game. Maybe next time the boys need to allow fewer shots so he is more rested, k? Thanks.



The 4 of us after the game. Fun times!



All in all, it was a good night and I would gladly attend another game there. :)



And in closing, haven't you always wanted a yard gnome sized Alfie bobblehead? I know I have. I had to really restrain myself from buying him! LOL

The rest of the trip was cool. Sunday included Mass said mostly in French (tres interresant, and hard to understand) and then a tour of the Parliament, which is worth the time and effort. The canal was too slushy to skate on so that did not happen again which was sad but my legs were happy. Heh.

And there you have it.

No comments: