Monday, March 10, 2008

Welcome!

Here it is, my first post in the dedicated Hockey-blog. Wheee! Like the title? It was the name of my college radio show for almost 2 years. :)

I have a livejournal, where I post my normal life- http://slysom.livejournal.com - but I needed a place to babble about hockey and particularly the Sabres without boring the life out of those friends I have that just don't care that much about how many goals Derek Roy has (27) and how terribly the boys have been playing lately (it's rough.... seriously) or when Henrik Tallinder is expected to return (Wed, they hope) and why the New York Rangers are where good players go to die (WHY DRURY, WHHHHYYY????) and.. well you get the point. I hope.

The real point is I. LOVE. HOCKEY. It has been my passsion, my soulmate, my bread and butter best friend lover for 14 years now. I've seen my teams lose it in the last game (first year being a fan, Vancouver Canucks.. yeah we dont' want to talk about that either ) and WIN it ALL (Red Wings in 97,98,02- Devils in 95-they weren't quite my team then but that's really when it started for me with Marty- and then again in 2000 and that wonderous playoff year of 2003) The good, the bad the ugly. Hockey is poetry, it's symphony, it's genuis on ice.

I can't quite explain it any better than that. Just that back in 1994, hockey took root in my blood and didn't let go. There's a bit more story there but I'll just leave it here for now. This blog should be about fun, because at its base, hockey IS fun. (sometimes the fun HURTS but so does skinning your knees and elbows when you jump off the swing.. yet it somehow doesn't stop your 7-yr old self from doing it again and again) and hockey seems the same way. No matter how many times "our boys" let us down during "our year", there is always NEXT year and next game and we'll keep hoping and wishing and waiting until maybe... just maybe one day it really WILL be our year.

All that being said, I'm currently a Sabres fan. (Living near Buffalo for 4 years will do that to ya.) I am first and foremost a Pavel Bure fan, for all that he's been retired for 5 years now. Marty Brodeur is my #2. I've been a Red Wings fan since I started watching hockey.. But the Sabres have slowly and steadily clawed their way to the top. This year has been tough, but the last few were something special, and I think they could get back there with a little tweaking and LOT of work. The Sabres of yesteryear were not afraid of hard work.. these guys just need to pick it up a little.

Oh and back to the fun. I have some hockey songs that I will get around to sharing one of these days, and I want to write some more, so stay tuned for that. I may also institute the idea from a former webzine I loved- "Hockey Snacks" in which the authoress would do a weekly installment of "Separated at Birth" featuring hockey players, as well as "Hockey Freaks of Nature"- peculiar merchandise items that were submitted by readers.. I've definetly got some ideas there. Hockey humor is something I enjoy and want to share.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

2 comments:

Heather B. said...

Sam, looks good so far! I love the title!

I have to say, I wasn't planning on getting the pins but now that you've mentioned Hank I really would love to have one! I don't want you to go out of your way or anything but if there are some available around you that would be totally awesome! If you get one, let me knew! (But again, don't feel like you have to chase one down. I can probably live without one :-D)

S.A.M. said...

of course I can get one for you! (that's why I offered!) I bought Roy last Sunday and it was no problem here, didn't even get to Wilson Farms till 3 in the afternoon and they still had lots. Then my sis was telling me about ppl in Buffalo we know who were getting up at like 6 am to get to the store and buy one...

So it shouldn't be a problem here. :)

and thanks for the comment, my first one!