Monday, March 2, 2009

let me go

I had a thought (but it hurt to so I let it go.. -name the song that line is from and you win points! LOL)

Everybody is talking about Timmy and Max as possible trade bait.. but I'm really worried that we might lose Pommers or Paille. Timmy is super fragile but when he's healthy he's pretty good. Pommers- much as I love him, and believe me I DO love him!- seems to be in a funk to end all funks. I know management made a big commitment to him over the summer with the (almost) 5 for 25 deal.. which was reassuring, but there is nothing to say a team won't be willing to take on his contract in hopes that he will return from the depths. Pominville is a very good player, a great guy in the community and from all reports, a good teammate. He might fetch a hefty return and the way the Sabres are right now, I wouldn't put it past Darcy and Lindy to really shake things up.

Would trading Max shake things up? No- it would only get rid of dead weight- and I realllly hope they do that because he's taking up space. Would trading Jason Pominville change the scenery in Sabrestown? YES.

Paille is a bit less of a statement but I could see it happening too. He is producing less than he should? be though he is still quite young and there is a lot of potential there. Staffy is another question mark..

We can conjecture all we want and we will know nothing until it all settles down after 3pm on Wednesday. but when I thought that about Jason.. it made me want to cry, but it also makes a certain sort of sense.

Players I wouldn't mind parting ways with:
Max
Timmy (we might miss his numbers but I don't LIKE him)
Kotalik
Hecht
Paestch (I like him but I would understand if he wanted to leave us)
Peters- face it, he's a terrible "enforcer" though he seems like a nice guy

Players I'd be a little sad about but would handle if we got a decent deal:
Lydman
Paille
MacArthur
Tallinder
Spacek
Stafford

Players I want to keep around:
Rivet
Kaleta
Lalime
Sekera
Butler
Mair
Ellis- for a journeyman, he's really proven himself
Teppo

Players whose departure would cause weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, then re-location to their new town: (or at least a bit of sadness and maybe some ice-cream binges)
DEREK ROY
Ryan Miller
Paul Gaustad
Jason Pominville (despite the reality of what I said up there, he's one of my favs!)
Thomas Vanek (we dwell in darkness without you!)

There is my (oh-so-analytical) breakdown of the trade deadline madness. LOL

1 comment:

dani said...

Yeah, I wonder about Paestch...