Saturday, April 5, 2008

rubbing salt in the wound`

Oooh ouch. The Sabres won that game, handily- which was great. Then there's the post game show, a very terse interview with Lindy- how much do I LOVE that man?! and a bit of a sad goodbye from the studio 200 boys. I think kevin was a little sniffly. "We'll be around"..

so I was feelin a bit down, ya know.. then MSG cuts to this show about the 1994 Rangers and SHOWS the end of that game, which just happened to be the END of my first season as a hockey fan. (and I was a CANUCKS fan, so I was not happy!) Oooh it burns! I can't remember if I cried or not that night, i sure as hell wanted to, I jsut can't remember if I did. I know I could barely watch that stupid game. The boys were there, dammit! I could not sit still, I wandered from the living room to the office and back all night. It was way too tense and in those waning minutes, with the whole crew at MSG losing their minds, I just saw my first hockey dream crumble into dust.

It was not a happy feeling 14 years ago and it still stings. My Pavel Bure was that close to a Stanley Cup and it didn't happen. He was almost the first Russian to have his name on the Cup.. but they couldn't get it done, and he never even came close again. :(

I have since had other teams win- the Wings and the Devils, and seen my fellas- including a team I knew personally- the Dayton Bombers of the ECHL make it to the finals to get swept, but nothing will ever match that feeling of pain on June 14, 1994. And those bastards on MSG just had to bring it back, tonight, when I was already feeling a bit hockey sad.

So I'm not in the mood to dissect the Sabres tonight. It was a good game today, and a good way to end the season- way to go, Thibault and Vanek! Also, way to be a team player, Royzie.. but I will save my season-ending recaps for another time.

I'll also get some playoff predictions going on tomorrow or monday, once the teams are set. Congrats to the Caps- I kinda have a soft spot for them. But I'm still pullin for the Devils and the Wings, those are my boys.

G'night everybody.

1 comment:

dani said...

"Way to be a team player, Royzie."

Yeah, I know! I think everyone is feeling that!