Saturday, April 12, 2008

Breaking Down the Sabres

I've been thinking about this post for a long time. It's the memoir of a season, I want it to be good. (for my own sake, if no one else's) Overall, it was a good year. It would have been better, of course without so many blown leads and a bit more consistancy but hey.. we can't have it all, all the time. They are still our boys and they still made things interesting (painful?) right up till the 81st game. That's worth a lot. And there were some killer good games in there, mixed with all the strugglin-ness.

So I'm looking at the good, and hoping they'll learn from it properly and have a better year next go around. Is it September yet?

So, to recap- I went to 4 Sabres games this year- 2 preseaon and 2 regular season. Each one was fun in its way-

Game 1- September 23, IN COLUMBUS. It was my good friend's 21st birthday so we went to a hockey game of course. It happened to be the Sabres and the Blue Jackets. Our seats were great, about 12 rows up behind the Columbus net. My group cheered for the Sabres (though most of them were really CBJ fans, we were just having some fun) and we were LOUDER than the whole arena with our Let's GO BUFFALO. :) So proud. The boys pulled one out in the shootout (back when they still knew how to do that) so that was rockin.

Game 2- September 29, v. Pittsburgh. I decided the night before that I really wanted to see the Sabres again. When I found out that there was a meet the team thingy afterwards, it was a done deal. I grabbed my friend Mary and we hooked it up. It was a fun game, and then I got to meet Derek Roy for about 10 seconds. It was glorious. And the Sabres won 4-3, so that was good as well.

Game 3- November 2- my brother-in-law got some tickets from the guy down the hall from his office- who has season tickets in the 200 level. Holy WHOA those are some killer seats. I went with my 4-yr old nephew. We had fun, it was pretty sweet to be the one to take him to his first game (well technically, he'd been to a couple of Niagara games with me, but this was his first NHL game). The Sabres played rather poorly and lost 4-2 but we had fun anyway.

Game 4- March 19- and I blogged all about it here in case ya missed it.
--------------------
My next post will be about the players.. it's still in progress. Now we move on to the present..

It's so hard to watch playoff hockey this year when it's teams I don't care about. ( I wasn't able to watch the Wings last night and the Devils have yet to be on tv.) I saw bits of the Caps/Flyers tonight, that was a wild one. I was so mad when that traitor Briere scored 2 goals in like a minute, sandwiched around one by some other schmuck from the Flyers.. then I took a shower during intermission and got distracted for a while, to come back to a 5-4 game and watch the end. Good job Caps! It was a bit of a fun game, I like the run-and-gun style hockey.. sometimes. I hope every game isn't a shooting gallery but from time to time it can be good.

OKay now to go write my commentary on each Sabres player for the season. I'll be here a while..

1 comment:

dani said...

I went to the first pre-season game against the Blue Jackets. It was like $30 for the upper 100 level.

I will need to go to more next season.