Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Preview Time

Please keep in mind that my playoff predictions are based less on fact and numbers and more on gut feelings and randomness- (but I have been randomly right in the past with nothing to back it up..) so, with that in mind, I bring you:
Stanley Cup Playoffs, 2010

East Siiiiiide:
1. Washington Capitals
VS
8. Montreal Canadiens
*Washington in 6 games. The Habs just don't have it this year and the Caps are too strong up front.

2. New Jersey Devils
VS
7. Philadelphia Flyers
*New Jersey in 5. The Flyers have weak goaltending and the Devils are ready to rumble. And I just love them and hate the Flyers.

3. Buffalo Sabres
VS
6. Boston Bruins
*Sabres in 6. The Bruins don't scare me. Vanek remembers he's a goal scorer. Roy has been playing more like that scrappy kid who came into the league back in 2003 and made me love him. Miller OWNS them all.

4. Pittsburgh Penguins
VS
5. Ottawa Senateurs (of DOOM!)
*Pittsburgh in 6. Ottawa has too many injuries to compete with the Penguins at top speed. I don't particularly like either team so I'd be fine with whichever way this one goes.

Quarterfinals:
1. Washington Capitals
VS
4. Pittsburgh Penguins
*Washington in 7. The Caps are going to take it this time. I think they are a deeper team than a lot of people give them credit for and if the goaltending can hold up they'll be fine.

2. New Jersey Devils
VS.
3. Buffalo Sabres
*It hurts me but I have the Sabres winning in 7. The Devils are tough (and the Sabres have not played well against them this year) but the Sabres want it (NEED IT) more.

Eastern Conference Final
1. Washington Capitals
VS
3. Buffalo Sabres
*Sabres in 7. Just 'cause I said so. Theodore/Varlamov are no match for Miller/Lalime.

---------------------
West Siiiiiide:

1. San Jose Sharks
VS
8. Colorado Avalanche
*I don't like either team but I just want to see San Jose continue their choking ways with a loss here, so Avs in 6.

2. Chicago Blackhawks
VS
7. Nashville Predators
*Chicago will have an easy go with a sweep. The Preds don't have it and the 'Hawks are too powerful.

3. Vancouver Canucks
VS
6. Los Angeles Kings
*I like the Kings as an underdog but I think the Canucks have the better team, just a bit. The Kings are young and that might hurt them here. 'Nucks in 7.(I sense OT)

4. Phoenix Coyotes
VS
5. Detroit Red Wings
*I am a Red Wings fan but I see a strange series here. The Coyotes have been surprisingly good this year (and the Wings surprisingly bad) and Phx has a lot to prove. I see them winning in 6.

Quarterfinals:

2. Chicago Blackhawks
VS
8. Colorado Avalanche
*The Avs have their surprise, then they are done. Chicago takes this one in 5.

3. Vancouver Canucks
VS
4. Phoenix Coyotes
*They are done after the series with the Wings. There might be some nice goalie battles in this series but the Canucks have it in 6 games... setting the stage for..

Western Conference Finals
A nice rematch from last year:
2. Chicago Blackhawks
VS
3. Vancouver Canucks
*Chicago will triumph again in a hard-fought series. These teams are really well-matched and it will be fun to watch. Chicago in 7.

Stanley Cup Finals:

Buffalo Sabres
VS
Chicago Blackhawks

*Yes, I like to dream big. But really, if the Sabres can keep it going on all cylinders, then they have something special. The wild card for the 'Hawks is the goaltending but they have some serious firepower up front and can hold their own on D which can make up for that... to a point. The Sabres have a nice core of D and a committee of goal-scorers so you never know where the threats will come from night to night. The Sabres won the only match-up this season-- one of their most well-played games all year, I thought. And Lalime was in net. He finished the season strong so we should feel good about our goalie situation.

I could see the Sabres winning it in 6 games.
-------------

You heard it here, folks. My hard-hitting analysis. (or something like that) Hey, it's my blog, I can dream if I want to, right? right. And just think of the Sabres and the Blackhawks (2 teams full of some fine looking gentlemen) with full-on playoff beards. I might swoon at the thought..

Let's GO BUFFALO!!!!!

No comments: