Friday, April 23, 2010

CRUNCH TIME

I don't even know what to say about the Sabres. It's all been said, it's all been done. I could spout some platitudes about hey they are the better team and they have the firepower and WHY IN THE HELL HAVE TIM CONNOLLY AND DEREK ROY DECIDED TO DISAPPEAR NOW? but I think we've all exhausted that line to death.

I'm sick of being disappointed, but then again, I chose to be a Sabres fan. It wasn't thrust upon me by some old family traditions or ingrained sense of hometown pride. I'm not from here, I've only lived here for 6 years (and "here" is actually 40 miles south of Buffalo proper) and really been a Sabres fan for about 4 of those years. I chose this, knowing that the Sabres inevitably let us down. So I guess I brought it upon myself. I want to think that THIS is the year that they will manage to put together all those pieces and make them into something sweet. I doubt it but... anything can happen.

I feel like Fox Mulder from "X-Files"-- I WANT TO BELIEVE.

But wanting is not always doing and the rational part of myself is preparing for the (almost) inevitable let down. I will be at the game tonight, cheering my little heart out because playoff hockey LIVE is amazing. I've dealt with much worse heartache than a first round exit but I'm tired of being let down by my hockey teams. I'm ready for some vindication. Wanna play, Sabres?

I guess that's all part and parcel of the sports experience. We want to hope and believe even in the most adverse circumstances and if things go well we rejoice and party like there's nothing better in the world. Luckily, if things go downhill, it IS only a game and we can recover and try again next year. There is always next year. (I just don't want to be 'next year' already.)

Let's Go Buffalo!!!

No comments: