Sunday, April 18, 2010

I don't know if there are words

Guys, I've been a hockey fan for 16 years. I have watched more hockey games on tv that I can count. I have watched the Stanley Cup finals (at least a few games) every year since 1994 except 2007- I was on a cruise and couldn't get the games. I have seen live games in 8 different NHL arenas (and one baseball stadium), 6 AHL arenas, and 9 ECHL arenas. I have been to many ECHL playoff games- even seen the Kelly Cup awarded (to the other team on my ice) twice but before today, had not been to an NHL playoff game.

Today I went to the Sabres game.

It was UNreal. The atmosphere in the arena exceeded my expectations. There was so much energy and feeling in the place that words fail me trying to describe it. It was just a rush of pure adrenaline and magic and I wanted it to go on forever. Sabretooth rappelled down from the rafters to a chorus of cheering and whistles. Doug Allen's (always stirring) renditions of the Anthems almost brought me to tears. The first few minutes of the game felt like a dream, with the chanting of 'Let's Go Buffalo' floating down all around me. (Usually I'm the one trying (in vain) to incite the citizens of section 116 *a rather quiet lot* to cheer on our boys. Then when the Sabres scored, I thought the roof might actually blow off the building.

Things quieted down a bit later, when the game got kinda rough, but wow.

It was moments like today that remind me why I love going to hockey games so much. There is a magical quality about 18,690 people (minus the few Bruins fans in attendance) whose minds are melded to the same purpose. It wasn't enough to propel the boys to a win today, but that did not diminish the incredible feeling that I found at the game. My love of hockey is rooted in THE GAME, but my love of being a hockey fan is rooted in days like today. Imagine if we could harness that feeling and power. We could save the world.

I will break down my actual thoughts on the play later but for tonight I just want to savor the feelings I had today. I love this city and I love this team. Is THIS the year? In a lot of the ways that matter, it already has been for me. Now let's make it even better.

Let's GO BUFFALO!


P.S. Speaking of 'dreams'- The Buffalo News had a really great article about Patrick Kaleta and Tim Kennedy, two Buffalo boys who made it to the Show. It's worth a read if you haven't already. :)

No comments: