Saturday, April 10, 2010

5 things

This post is inspired by the lovely and talented Diana Laurence, author extraordinaire and the partial inspiration for this blog. (she is the author of the former e-zine "Hockey Snacks", which I think I've referenced before) She recently wrote an entry listing 5 things that she is happy to have done and I think it's a brilliant idea. So brilliant, in fact, that I am going to emulate it- both here (hockey related things), and on my personal blog (livejournal), with a range of things I've done in my life that are not necessarily hockey related. :)

So, without further ado- 5 hockey-related things I'm glad I got to do: (in no particular order)

1. Skate on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa "The World's Largest Skating Rink".
My sis and I took a trip to Canada's capital back in March of 2007 for the sole purpose of skating the canal. We picked the perfect time to go, the weather was great and it was the last weekend the canal was open that season. We skated the full length (15.6 KM total) in one evening. It was a crazy workout and it was very cold but I'm quite happy to say that I have done it. I have since returned to the canal- the same sister and a friend and I competed in a Winterlude Triathlon there in 2009- we competed as a team, I skated 8km on the canal, Renee' (sis), ran 5km on the canal and Brenda (friend) did a 3km cross-country ski. We didn't exactly own the race, but none of us finished last in our category and we had fun. :)

2. Creating my own ice surface in my front yard.
I don't know how many of y'all follow me on facebook (if you don't, feel free to add me!) but if you do, then you will know of the trial it was to make this happen. A little bit of history is in order here. I moved to WNY in the late summer of 2003. I moved in with my sis and her family, who had just purchased a place out in the sticks- a tiny town called Delevan (about halfway between Buffalo and Olean, on Rt. 16) We've got a nice house and a decent bit of land- and a pond! I was very excited about the pond, because it gets and stays cold here for long periods of the winter. I was sure it would freeze and we could skate.. right? WRONG! The darn thing refuses to freeze properly and has been a thorn in my side for years. To make a long story short, I've given up on the pond. I tried a "jiffy rink" kit that I bought a Canadian Tire a couple of winters ago, but it never worked right. This year I decided to take matters into my own hands. I did tons of research and formulated a plan. It was January (typically the coldest part of the winter) and we had over a foot of snow on the ground. No problem. I cleared away the top layer of a huge section of the yard and prepared to work- the job was wetting down the snow that was left with the hose, then stomping it down into packed ice until I had a nice base. Then it was a matter of smoothing that out with misted on water in the cold of night. I worked on this for several freezing nights and it was coming along nicely (though hard hard work, especially since I had to drag the hose inside every night so it wouldn't freeze) Then I went to Dallas for the weekend, and it was in the 40s while I was away. I was a bit stressed but the snow was still here so I kept working on it the following week. THEN it rained for 3 days and ALL THE SNOW MELTED! I wanted to cry from frustration. But I had one more idea.
I had saved some old 4x4 pieces of wood from a fence with the idea of useing them to create a mini-rink. Then I tried the other plan but since that was done, and we were down to bare grass, I figured I'd try this one last plan and if it didn't work, I'd concede that it wasn't going to happen. So I bought a tarp from the hardware store (20x25') and laid out my boards, stapled the tarp to them to make a frame, then started filling it with water. Basically, after several days of filling and then having to add snow to level it out, I had ice. It was super bumpy and I had to go out with hot water and a shovel and do a bit of manual zamboni work, but I was able to create an ice surface in my yard. It was very small but still skateable. And now I know that this method can actually work here so next year I will make it bigger! I am still immensely proud of this accomplishment.

3. Attending the Winter Classic II in Chicago.
Sure, it wasn't Buffalo (couldn't make that one) but it was an incredible game between 2 teams I like with a fantastic rivalry. I went with my sister (who is my best friend and hockey buddy) and a great friend and we had a wonderful time. The weather was perfect, the game was intense, the fans were loud and crazy and it was everything I could have asked for. And the best part was that it was a surprise. I didn't know about it until 3 days before when my sis told me we were going. I will never forget that day. It was truly a special experience.

4. Teaching myself about hockey and how to ice skate.
I am a huge proponent of learning by doing. When I started to watch hockey, I didn't have a mentor guiding my every step, I didn't have anyone to ask, or even the internet to research things. I did it the old fashioned way- I went to the bookstore and bought every scrap of hockey literature (which wasn't much in Dayton, OH in the summer of 1994) I could get my hands on and started reading. I memorized players and stats and trying to soak up everything I could and counting the days till October. This zest for hockeyness has not left me. I still regularly read books about hockey- trying to learn as much as possible about what happened before my time, and I try to keep up with current news of the game. (it's much easier now, in Buffalo and with the internet, though I have less time to devote) Pretty much everything I know about hockey (and that's quite a bit, if I do say so), I learned on my own- by watching, and listening, and reading, and talking. I love the game, I couldn't live without it and I certainly wouldn't want to try. And I have an ownership in my fandom that I earned through lots of time and energy.
Along with the learning came a desire to DO. I knew that actually playing hockey wasn't really an option (not many teams in the area and whatnot) so I did the next best thing. I taught myself how to ice skate. I'm sure it was funny to watch. I was a very good rollerskater back in the day, but it had been some time since I had been on skates at all. I was 13 years old and I'm sure quite awkward, but I didn't care. My sister and I used to go to the open skate on Saturday nights and just have fun. I basically flailed around until I figured it out. It took awhile, but I was patient and I loved it. I watched the other kids (the hockey players of course) and tried to do what they did. I fell all the time but I didn't care. I used to race my sister's boyfriend from blueline to blueline. We went all the time and I got pretty decent at it. Eventually I moved on from awkward to an okay skater. I fell less and felt less out of control. But it never stopped being fun. I got figure skates for my 14th birthday (but I should have just asked for hockey skates, I dunno what I was thinking..) and finally got hockey skates for my 16th birthday. (still the best birthday gift I ever got and I still have those skates, they fit me like a glove) We still skated almost every weekend, all through high school. Soometimes friends would come and sometimes not, but it was always 'Nee and I. We had fun and it was a time to just exist and occasionally pretend that I was someone who could actually play hockey.
In college, I took a hockey skills class. It was awesome- counted for credit even. We did a lot of skating drills then actually got into the hockey. There wasn't much I didn't know already, though I was able to refine my skills in turning around and such, and I finally learned how to do a hockey stop. I took the class again the next year, and 'Nee joined me (even though she went to a different school) It was better the second time because the class as a whole was more advanced with the skating to start. We got into some strategy and did faceoffs and a few line changes even. (over the boards, I fell down on my first try jumping over. It was hilarious.)

I still skate whenever I can. I take my 4-yr old nephew skating about once a week, trying to share with him what I learned. I have rollerblades and try to get out on them fairly often when the weather is nice, but nothing is as great as the feel (and the sound) of blades on ice.
(phew, that got long)

5. Visiting the Hockey Hall of Fame
This may sound a bit lame, but the HHOF is super cool. I have been a few times, but could go a few more, there is something special about that place. And the neatest thing is how small the hockey world really is. I went to the HHOF in 2007 with my sister (of course, do you notice a trend here?) and as we looked around at all the displays, I kept running into names of players that I was familiar with. They change the displays often, but have equipment and jerseys and whatnot from minor leaguers of all levels and jr. hockey players as well. I found several items from players that I had met and known through my minor league hockey jobs and watching games at that level. It was kind of uncanny, actually.
And then there was the Kelly Cup (trophy for the ECHL) I worked for the Utah Grizzlies of the ECHL in 2005-06. We got to host the Kelly Cup one night as part of a tour. Unlike Lord Stanley, Kelly came unaccompanied, in a plain box with scant literature or a lengthy history. (he was only about 5 years old at the time.) So the task fell to me to be the 'keeper of the Cup" for the night. I embraced it with relish, being the hockey nut that I am. I found a bit of info about it and made up some little fliers. I did not wear the nasty gloves (not clean and crisp like Phil Pritchard's) that came with it, instead letting my fingers leave marks. LOL Our coach and one of our players had won the Kelly Cup back in 2003 so their names were on there and that was kinda cool for our fans. It was a bit cheezy but I enjoyed my night with the Cup. I had some bittersweet memories about it, having seen the Greenville Grrrowl win it on MY ice in Dayton back in 2002 but that was just another story to tell.
Anyway so that was in the HHOF and I thought it was cool cuz I had touched it and knew some folks whose names were on it.. and then of course THE STANLEY CUP is there as well. You can get pictures with it and touch it and hear some history if you want to. Totally worth the trip right there.
I highly suggest you make the trip to Toronto and check out the Hockey Hall of Fame, if you haven't done so.

So there it is.. my rambling trek through memory lane, hockey style. There are many other hockey-related things that I am glad to have done or taken part in, but I think I've written enough for now. What about you?

2 comments:

Diana Laurence said...

Sam, this was awesome! I'm so glad you took the inspiration from my blog and ran with it.

I have been to Ottawa (to see Guy Carbonneau coach a game between the Habs and Sens) and saw the Rideau Canal. In fact, I bought a Winterlude shirt while we were there!

Your ice surface project really blows my mind. Talk about a never-say-die attitude! Fantastic.

Watched that Winter Classic on TV! And you were there, how cool is that?

And you're right about the HHOF...that place is absolutely awe-inspiring. I've been twice!

Well done...thanks for sharing all this.

S.A.M. said...

Thank YOU for reading! (and being inspiring..) :)

Ottawa is cool. Their hockey team is my enemy but the city is grand. I really need to get there in May to see the acres of tulips (my favourite flowers) that are planted all around the city. 3 MILLION TULIPS!! A gift from the Dutch following WWII. I've only been there in Winter.

Thanks for the kudos on the ice- it was definitely a labor of love.

The Winter Classic was beyond cool. (it was downright COLD!) Sorry, couldn't help myself.

You can never go to the HHOF too many times. :)