Sunday, February 21, 2010

scandal!

Okay I've been watching a ton of Olympics.. but so far no hockey. (that will change today with the superhockeydayoflife!) So what I have to say about that is GO USA!!!

But I'd like to weigh on on the figure skating controversy that's sweeping the nation.. or rather a footnote to a great competition that only matters to the parties involved and anyone who actually cares about it. That would be me. Haha. If you wish to read my extremely in-depth "review" of the long program, you can check it here if you care that much.

In any case, Evan Lysacek won the gold, on what was definitely a more complex program and he NAILED all his jumps. Yevegeny Plushenko wobbled quite a bit on his jumps and landings, and yes, he did the quad, but the rest of his program was rather boring, and the 2nd half was really a snoozer. Evan's 2nd half was loaded, which is worth more points from a technical point of view. But Plushenko whined (and is still whining) about how since he did the quad, he should have won. Dude, ONE jump does not a program make. If his whole program had been clean and as complex, then the quad could have (and probably should have been) the deal-breaker. However, it was not. Evan's program was better and better skated. So shut your whiny yap Yevgeny and get over it.

Of course it could be argued that I say this because I'm American and I want my countryman to win. It's not about that at all. I don't claim to be a figure skating expert- far from it actually, but even I could see that Evan's program had more to it. Bottom line. His technical score was better. He didn't do the quad but he had more jumps. The quadruple jump is not REQUIRED- it's a bonus.

That's my take, for what it's worth. If you want to read someone else's- check this article: Read Me

Now, bring on the hockey!! :)

No comments: