Monday, May 18, 2009

Let the games begin

I missed both game 1s as I'm playing Mom to the nephews for a few days, but I will try to catch tomorrow's game- I need to see my main men and decide once and for all who I am cheering for in that series. I think it's the Wings but man those Blackhawks are tempting. But I've been a Red Wings fan for 15 years and you can't just throw that away.

And I need to see the energy of that series- I love the rivalry between Detroit and Chicago, it's amazing. Guys, I was AT the Winter Classic this year and the place was electric. And my Blackhawks friends say that games against Detroit were always like that. I wish the Sabres had a rival that we get that fired up about. I guess the closest would be maybe Toronto, because of proximity but really there is nothing like the atmosphere of a Wings/Blackhawks game. There are plenty of teams that the Sabres don't like but few that we actually get crazy about hating, ya know?

I think I've figured out what it is about the 'Hawks that is so appealing. (Besides the obvious Sharp factor LOL) They are what the Sabres wish they were. They are young, speedy, tough and talented, without any HUGE name players but a lot of pretty decent guys that work really well together. True they have Kane and Toews, who are a pretty hot duo, and Kaner was a #1 pick, but still most of their guys are players who quietly go out and get the job done. The Sabres want to be like that. The Sabres used to be (almost but not quite) like that and they want it back. And maybe that's why I like the Blackhawks so much, because they are plucky. I think I've used that word before to describe them, but it fits. They play exciting hockey and I love exciting hockey. You don't have to score 129386 goals a night to play exciting hockey, you just have to play with passion and persistence and I will love you forever. Speed, foxy playoff beards, the occasional scrap and some nifty goals don't hurt either. ;)

So lay it on me, fellas. I know as soon as I see the BIG RED MACHINE again I'll remember why I love them so much- because I do love the Wings, even if they are not my old time Wings. They still have Osgood, who I never gave up on, even though he was pretty rough this year (who's been playing all the playoff games? Not Conklin!) will always be my boy.

I guess what this ramble is about is that I am cheering for the Wings officially, but I would not be heartbroken if the Blackhawks won, because i greatly enjoy the city of Chicago and the team, and it would be wonderful for them to get a Cup back there after a very long absence. As long as it isn't Pittsburgh or Carolina, I'm good, because I have no love for any team which has a Staal playing for it. ;)

perhaps some thought on the East later.

No comments: