Monday, April 18, 2011

a word or two

I've now seen a few playoff games. Strangely, I haven't seen either Sabres game, except for the last 10 minutes of Saturday's game. I was busy on Thursday night but listened to the 3rd period in the car, and listened to part of the 2nd on Sat and watched the end. (It's weird to have a life that doesn't revolve around hockey!)

I did watch the middle of game one, all of game 2 and most of game 3 of the Blackhawks/Canucks series and the 2nd half of yesterday's game 3 of the Ducks/Predators so I have seen some hockey. Here's what I think:

*Sabres need to stay out of the box. They seem reasonable 5-on-5 and their PK has actually been incredibly good, but you don't want to wear those guys out! They are back home tonight and hopefully will get it together for their home crowd. Coming back with a split is pretty solid.. we'll take it. :)

*The Ducks looked downright AWFUL last night. They were totally unorganized- had no defensive coverage (and Nashville was pressing, hard) and took too many penalties too. I don't particularly care one way or the other about either team, so it doesn't matter to me much who wins.. but that is certainly an interesting series.

*What is wrong with the Blackhawks? They looked rough in game 1, decent in game 2 and pretty good in game 3, but can't solve LuLu. I thought last night night was their best effort thus far, but still wasn't enough. Keith has been brutal on defence.. and this is the defending Norris Trophy winner! They've got to get it together or they are going home Super early. I doubt the 'Hawks can get past the Canucks, but I think they could squeak one win.. guess we'll see.

*And Raffi Torres' hit on Seabrook was pretty nasty. It was deliberate- he didn't even try to play the puck, though it was right there, and it was dirty. Intent to injure? Not necessarily, but he knew what he was doing.. the 2-minute penalty was warranted (and scored on) but perhaps a suspension of 1-2 games is also in order. He's nasty.

*The Canucks are ridiculously good. I know this-- I've seen the stats, and watched them play once or twice this year (and read about a lot more)... but the Sabres won their only matchup this year- in OT! That game was incredible.. and a true taste of how good the Canucks are. They are scary. And fun, not gonna lie. :)

*I haven't watched the Wings yet, but it appears that they are in their usual playoff form.. just going out and getting the job done. I have no idea why, but I kind of have a soft spot for Phoenix.. I really liked their performance in the playoffs last year (even against the Red Wings) and I want to see them succeed. Not likely this year though..

*I can't stand the Sharks, so go Kings! :)

*Washington is up 2-1 on the grossbadguyRangers. Good on them. We all know I despise the Rangers so go Caps go!

*Look at Montreal.. don't totally hate them, but don't love them either. NOT a fan of the Bruins though, so I'm down the Habs winning that series.

*TB and Pitt- also 1-1. I don't much like the Penguins so I guess I'm pulling for Tampa. I really should watch some games there. The Lightning should be an interesting team, with Stamkos, Lecavlier and St. Louis leading the way. Then of course they have to get past McFlurry and that can be difficult....

So there is your extremely informed commentary about the ongoing playoff series, as told by Sam. ;)

Let's Go Buffalo!

No comments: