Monday, December 19, 2011

It's my fault

Oops... I jinxed Gerbe.

Remember when I got my Derek Roy jersey for Christmas in 2007 and then the Sabres lost 10 games and then Royzie missed 4 games or something? Oh wait, you probably don't because I didn't have this blog then.. but I remember!

So Royzie has been my main man for as long as I've had a Sabre- his name is on my slug jersey, he's my dude. I've never had to wonder or worry about him having competition for the #1 spot. I like lots of Sabres but he was still the top dog.

Until Nathan Gerbe came along. Gerbe has slowly worked his way into my psyche and I can't seem to shake him. He's fun to watch and the more I read about him, the more I like him. He is one of those guys who really plays hard every night (like Derek Roy USED to be!) and I love that in a player. I am never not amused to see him line up against all the "big" boys. In general, I really just dig him.

That's not really news, I've talked about it here before.. and I was having a huge debate with myself before the season about getting a new Sabres jersey. I tried to go out on Slug appreciation day (and I was actually going to stick with Roy) but didn't make it to buy a new jersey that day. I thought I had made my mind up then- Roy had always been my Sabre, and I was going to stay loyal to him. But when I didn't get to buy a jersey that day, my resolve wavered.

A friend suggested that maybe the conflict it was because Roy missed so much of last season that I got used to seeing other players instead of him and once he was out there again the old love would return in full force.

Well the preseason started and then the season and they were both out there.... And I kept finding myself drawn to #42.

Houston, we have a problem.....

So I'd been raging about this issue- *silly in the grand scheme, but for me this is serious!* I've never had to choose between players before.

Then I decided to ask for a Sabres jersey for Christmas. And I want Gerbe on it, not Roy.

I made my decision public.. and that was good. It really wasn't a secret I liked Gerbe at this point anyway. No jinx yet (but then again, I don't have his jersey yet.)

Then I changed my facebook picture- to one of me standing in front of his portrait at the FNCenter. (first time I've seen his, it's on the 300 level and I hadn't been up there for 2 years)

And BOOM... next game out he leaves with a concussion and has yet to return.

So players beware, if I pick you, and publicly declare for you, you will most likely be either named to the all-star team (happened to a few of my minor league fellas) and/or injured/called up(if you're in the minors)/traded but one way or another, no longer playing.

Luckily for me, (and you, if you're said player), these absences are generally short-lived. I don't know why this happens to players that I like when I declare for them, but it seems to be a bad trend and I would like to publicly apologize for my bad juju. I just hope the curse doesn't re-assert itself once I actually get the jersey for Christmas!

Get well soon, Nathan Gerbe!

No comments: