Sunday, November 1, 2009

I figured it out

Guys, I know why Derek Roy isn't scoring goals:

it's MY fault!

See, when I got my Roy jersey for Christmas, almost 2 years ago, the Sabres had that pathetic 10 game winless streak, and Royzie didn't score a single goal in that stretch. Before that, he was the team's leading scorer- pts AND goals.

Then he finally broke out of that slump (and the injury that happened during it) and scored a hat trick in that bust-up of Atlanta and actually did very well for the rest of the season. That was the time when Royzie and Pommer were in the Top 5 goal scorers for the 2nd half of the year. Ah, memories.

Flash forward to this summer. I met Derek Roy in August and had him autograph my jersey. He hasn't scored a goal since.

I think I even joked that I hoped it didn't curse him, and here we are, 10 games into the season and Roy has 8 assists and ZERO goals.

I blame myself. Apparently my fandom is dooming my boy. I shall have to renounce all Derek Roy love until such time as he finds his scoring touch again.

I'm quite sorry to have deprived the Sabres of a top scoring threat, but I am quite happy that the rest of the boys have stepped up. So, from now until he gets his act together, I shall try to treat Derek as "just one of the boys" and give him no more notice than I would.. say, Steve Montador.

Derek, you're on notice.

No comments: