Thursday, September 17, 2009

The end of the beginning

Farewell to Bret Hedican, one of the last guys from the old 93-94 Canucks (my first favorite hockey team) to call it quits. He was also the last guy (along with Pavel Bure) to be traded from that team. (Linden came back, but that doesn't count) I always liked Hedican, he was a solid, underrated, stay at home defenceman who just got the job done. :)

He was about the only reason I was happy to see the 'Canes win the Cup in 06 after they beat the Sabres. It was good for him, one of those guys who never got a lot of attention, but was solid and steady, to get a moment to shine. :)

I met him briefly once, during a Panthers/Blue Jackets exhibiton in Cincinnati. He and several other big name Panthers were sitting out (Ray Whitney, Scott Mellanby, Trevor Kidd and Vicktor Kozlov were the others) and I found them up in the stands and asked for autographs. They were all quite kind and hooked me up. :) Hedican was friendly, even.

He will be missed from hockey, but I'm sure he'll be happy whatever he does.

No comments: