Monday, September 14, 2009

Almost but not quite

So... I acutally watched most of the Bills game tonight. I still don't really care about football, but occasionally it can be decent. My sis is visiting and she likes football so it was on and I was being social. (and really, I should be a football fan by default. My parents and sibs (minus Quin, who doesnt really care about sports at all) love football, as does most of my extended fam.) But I just haven't felt the draw to football that I have towards hockey.

However, I found myself actually caring about what happened to the Bills tonight. It was somewhat interesting. Painful, as the Bills are wont to be, but interesting. They seemed to be making such a huge deal about how heartbreaking it was, but let's be honest with ourselves- it's THE BILLS. This is how they roll. They make you think that this time they'll really do it. They have a few great drives, make a statement, then forget how to play football for 3 minutes and then it's over. Just like our beloved Sabres. It is BUFFALO. It happens. We should be used to it now. It's really probably more of a surprise when they manage to win.

So with that in mind, it was still sad that they couldn't get it done. There were some very good things about tonight, but I won't pretend to know enough about football to talk about them. I have a basic understanding of the game, and can usually tell if something is good or bad, but the nuances are somewhat lost on me because I don't care enough to learn.

So, I will say some things of a completely superficial nature:
-I liked the Patriots throwback uniforms a lot better than their usual ones.
- The referee uniforms are a bit much though. LOL
-Could the announcers please let go of Tom Brady's junk? They were up in his piece all damn night and I was so grossed out of it. Please NOTE: Tom Brady is NOT the only athlete to ever have major knee surgery. Get. Over. It.
-Moving on.. Trent Edwards is cute and so clean-cut looking. I have no idea if he's a decent person, or if he even has any personality, but I'm okay with him being a "face" of my city.
-Ditto that for Paul Pozluszny- he's just awesome. But he seriously needs a haircut.
-I hate the "crunch" of football players colliding. For some reason, the sound of hockey players crashing into one another doesn't bother me. It's similar but not the same and the football sound is so much more cringe-inducing for some reason.

That's all of the non-hockey observations I have for now.

Hockey in 3 days!!! perhaps I shall write a happy it's almost hockey time post soon but it's not ready yet. My brother in law has season tickets and he got them today. WOOO! :) They look really cool. I was excited to see that the Devils, Caps and Blackhawks all come to visit on the same week in December. That will be an interesting week for teams that I like other than the Sabres. Maybe I'll get to see a few- probably the Devs at least. I'd really like to see the Patrick Sharp- er I mean Blackhawks.. but we'll see what happens.

No comments: