Wednesday, August 27, 2008

special SAB

Wow, it's wednesday again. They keep creeping up on me.

And since I'm feeling lazy tonight, and my birthday was yesterday, we'll do a special Edition of Hockey Separated at Birth.

Once, suffering from a bout of insomnia/procrastination in my college days, I busted out my giant book o'hockey and searched the pages of every player to play a game in the NHL from the beginning to 2000. I marked the ones that I share a birthday with. There were not many, and perhaps there are a few more since 2000, but here is what I have:

-Henri Lehvonen b. Sarnia Ont, 8/26/50 Played 4 games for the Kansas City Scouts in 1974-75

-Steve Carlson b. Virginia, MN 8/26/55 Played 52 games for the LA Kings in 1979-80

-Chris McRae (brother of Basil) b. Beaverton ONT, 8/26/65 Played 14 games for the Maple Leafs in 1987-89 and 7 for the Red Wings in 1989-90

-Igor Nukulin b. Cherepovets, USSR, 8/26/72 Played 1 playoff game for the Ducks in 1996-97

Ron Stackhouse b. Haliburton, ONT 8/26/1949Played 889 NHL games for California Golden Seals, Red Wings, and Penguins from 1971-1982

Bill White- b. Toronto ONT, 8/26/39 Played 604 NHL games for the LA Kings and Chicago Blackhawks from 1967-77

Bob Dupuis b. 8/26/52 North Bay, ONT (my mom's maiden name is Dupuis and I had some waaaay back Dupuis ancestors who lived in NS, maybe we're related!) Played 1 game as a goalie for Edmonton in 1979-80

And that, to my knowledge and painstaking research, is a list of anyone who played in the NHL through 2000 who shares my birthday. While August is an extremely popular birthmonth among hockey folks, the 26th is not. On the contrary, I once found 3 guys on the Anaheim Ducks who shared my friend Joy's bday (nov. 2), and one of them was the same year!

I know, I'm a weirdo. But it's fun!

5 comments:

dani said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hmmm..August is a popular hockey player birthmonth??
Let's do the math.
Hockey players=born mainly in northern climates
northern climates=cold winter nights
cold winter nights + 9 month gestation period = AUGUST!
:-)

S.A.M. said...

I know *why* August is a popular birth month among hockey players. LOL and I have personally known several who were all around my birthday but not on it.

LeeAndrew said...

Okay, Samantha, here I am reading and commenting on your blog. So when I start a new blog I expect to see you there.

I know I am late but I did not know it was your birthday so happy birthday!

I don't know if you know this but on hockey reference you can actually find all the players born on your birthday. http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/birthdays.cgi
I looked up mine (June 28th) but didn't recognize any names. That isn't saying much though since I know about 10 players.

S.A.M. said...

Lee, thanks for the birthday wishes and the link to the site. Good to know for future reference. :) There was only one player who wasnt in my giant book of hockey.

I will make your blog a regular on my reading rotation. :)