Saturday, August 16, 2008

Back to hockey

Okay I'll take a break from my incessant swimboy stalkerage and talk about my true love- hockey.

Today I got The Hockey News's 2008-09 Yearbook with the team previews and such. There were good and bad things to be had. I didn't read everything yet but here is what I think:

*They underrated the Sabres, picking them to finish 11th in the east. I think they definitely can be better than that, and they will. They fixed the goalie problem, added a steady d-man in Rivet and kept the core of young talent together which was wise. Those guys have a better idea of what's expected this year and there isn't the cloud of lost free agents hanging over their heads from day one this year. I have high hopes, and I think they will make the playoffs at least.

*there was an article about Alex Ovechkin that made me like him even more than I already did. I don't know why Ovie doesn't bother me and the hype doesn't get to me, but it doesn't and I just like him. Check this: "When you have fun and you love it, you can go all the time. You love your mom all the time and I love hockey all the time." That is SO cute!
And then there is this stat: Most goals in first 3 seasons:
Gretzky- 198
Bossy- 173
Ovie- 163
Pavel Bure- 154

Yeah, I like goal scorers. (Pavel played less games than those other guys too.)

*They rated the top 50 players in the NHL right now. Sid was #1 of course, with Ovie #2, but guess who cracked the list at #47? My main man Derek Roy! :) Good job Royzie! Ryan Miller was #39, also reppin for the Sabres. And guess who DIDN'T make the list? Chris Drury. Ha, in your eye!

I think that's it. I'm off to find pretty pictures of Ryan Lochte. Shameless, I know, but one does what one can in these hockey-lean times. ;)

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ever see Sid and/or Ovie play?
Saw Sid the Kid in the Ice Bowl last year.
As for Ovie- I've seen him play ALOT - I was there for his NHL debut (preseaon even) and thought he'd be my next fave player (Luc Robitaille was on his way out), and then I was there for the Briere bashing game. And although I think Ovie really didnt mean to hurt him, I was soured.
BTW - newest fave player - back to the Kings for Anze Kopitar.
Anyway, Ovie is very exciting to watch though - despite the fact that I do not support cherry picking!
I would say more exciting than Sidney, especially live!

S.A.M. said...

I can't deny that Sid has skills but I think Ovie is definetly more exciting to watch.

Like I said, I like goal scorers.

and Kopitar is pretty slick. I think he will get even better.

dani said...

11th? :(