Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I'm a mess

So it continues.

My #1 team will never win. Sorry, Sabres. However, my other teams have no problems winning. (See Devils, New Jersey; Red Wings, Detroit) So it only follows that the Blackhawks, Chicago, are right there with them and tonight's game. The 'Hawks have quietly snuck (sneaked?) their way in to my fandom in the last few years.

I'm very excited for them, for the city of Chicago and several of my dear friends who are diehard Blackhawks fans. :) My boy Sharpie will have his name on the Cup now. YAY!

The Flyers, as gross as they are, made it a great series. It was a fun way to end the season. Well done, guys.

The Stanley Cup makes me cry. I don't know if I have cried watching the Cup presentation before. I *wanted* to cry that first season, back in 1994, when the evil nasty Rangers tore my heart out but I couldn't cry. I was just.. empty. (the void is still there, by the way. Pavel Bure never won a Cup) In the years since, I have seen teams that I love win the Cup several times, but never my one true love and never my #1 team.

All that being said, I'm happy for the Blackhawks and I cried for them. I cried for the guys that made it and all those that didn't. **speaking of, did y'all see Jeremy Roenick crying on the post-game? Poor guy. I always liked JR, he was a great and entertaining player. He had a wonderful career but never won a Stanley Cup so I know he was hurting tonight.

I don't know why I'm so weepy. Lord Stanley IS beautiful though. I like what Mike Emrick said- "They work so hard for a ring that will be so gaudy they won't wear it everyday, and for their names on a trophy they can't keep. But they will not forget this night or these feelings."

Damn straight, Doc. Thanks, and we'll see you again next season.

*****ANd now, a few notes:
-Danny Briere looks HOT with a playoff beard and a black eye. Yeah, I said it.
-If I never have to see Scott Hartnell's ugly mug again, it will be too soon.
-Congrats to Jonathon Toews on the Conn Smythe trophy. There is some talk that it maybe shoulda been Kaner, but it's all good. At least it was someone from the WINNING team!
-I love how we only got about 2 seconds of Gary Bettman. *phew. He's so lame. And he looked like a hobbit next to Toews when he was presenting the Cup.
-Sharpie got #3 star of the night on the Daily Line show after the game. yay! He had 11 goals and 11 assists during the playoffs. Brilliant. I love that man.

....and I say that's about it. I'm off to bed. G'night.

1 comment:

Diana Laurence said...

Wow, do we think alike. I agree with all those points of yours. Scott Hartnell makes me queasy. Danny Briere is a fantastic player and adorable (the only Flyer I like). Bettman was wise to keep it short (year after year, the poor guy gets booed!). And Patrick Sharp is fabulous. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the playoffs and thanks for adopting the Hawks!