Saturday, August 15, 2009

Helloooooo Mr. Roy

Guys I got a picture taken WITH Derek Roy today! This made me very excited and I almost embarassed myself by squeeeee-ing like a fangirl. But I managed to keep it all inside, at least until I walked away and called my sis.

Seriously, he was at Great Skate signing autographs. It was cool- well no actually it was HOT because it was outside, and someone decided it would actually be summer today. (I hate summer weather.) But I managed to not melt (or get sunburned- thank you SPF 50!) and got an autograph on my jersey and a picture with Derek.

I did not enter the store of Great Skate, nor did I peruse the merchandise at their tent sale because I do not need or really want anything from there. I'm sure there is tons of lovely hockey-ness inside/outside but I dearly love and am very attached to my 12 year old pair of hockey skates (Bauer Supreme 76s- my 16th birtday present) which are perfectly molded to my feet through years of skating in them. Similarly I love my old, used Easton wood 95 something or other Steve Yzerman model stick that I bought about 7 years ago from a used sporting goods store that has a wicked sweet (probably illegal) curve on it. My scraggly hockey gloves could possibly use replacing, but I use them so rarely that it doesn't really matter.

So the point of all that rambling is that while there is lovely merchandise at Great Skate, I did not need (nor could really afford) it so I stayed away. Wise of me, eh? But they were kind enough to hold the signing outside so I was still able to "meet" my favorite Sabre and get his autograph and picture.

For those who are wondering- Derek looked pretty good. (and I don't mean (just) his face LOL) Maybe he's been working out this summer so he can be ready for camp and not some fat lazy slob like he was at the start of last season. I hope he comes out on fire and we can get some of the old, feisty, scrappy Derek back. He was fun. He was very pleasant and polite, chatting it up with all the little kids, which was cute. he didn't quite smile for my pic, but it's still pretty good. I'm not complaining. :)

So without further ado (and no more babbling, I'm sure y'all are sick of me already) here is the pic of Derek Roy and I! :)