Tuesday, August 18, 2009

In other sports news..

Wow I'm wandering from hockey a bit today, aren't I?

I just read another article saying how Softball, Baseball, karate, squash and "roller sports"- (say what?) are gone from the Olympic games, while Women's Boxing is in, and Rugby 7s and Golf are on the slate for 2016.

I'm cool with adding women's boxing.\, (I think you have to be nuts to want to box at all, but more power to them) and rugby is crazy and a very international sport- but to peace out softball and baseball seems kind of insane to me.

If they want to take the "too many professionals allowed" approach about baseball, I could almost go there, but ditching softball? That just seems rude to all the girls out there who dream of getting to some huge level. What is there for them after college? Before, there was the chance to represent their country at the Olympics, but not anymore. I never played softball in my life- I find it too hard to throw the ball, because it's huge- but I have respect for anyone who played an organized sport, especially at higher levels.

I guess the boxing and possibly rugby and golf are strides forward, but to get there, they have to take backwards steps.. trampoline jumping was an olympic sport and table tennis IS an Olympic sport, so... maybe Softball and Baseball will make a comeback one day?

Oh and did you know that tug-of-war was an Olympic sport from 1900-1920? Awesome.

No comments: